Deborah Panella is Director of Library & Knowledge Services at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, and Information Management Track Team Coordinator for ILTA 2013.
The ILTA annual conference is now underway with a record number of attendees, a growing number of whom are from the law library community (including representatives from AALL). The International Legal Technology Association brings together law firm and corporate law department professionals from a wide variety of career tracks and disciplines, and members come from around the globe.
As more of us take on additional responsibilities (and often new titles) that include knowledge management, competitive intelligence, conflicts, and legal project management, ILTA complements the knowledge and connections we make from organizations like AALL and SLA. All year long, the organization offers educational programs, webinars, white papers*, listservs, and a monthly magazine that are not just for technology experts. Among the many topics of interest to library and information professionals are dashboards, intranets and portals, Sharepoint, enterprise search, risk and records management (including new business intake), marketing, project management, and AFAs.
This year’s annual conference offers over 200 educational sessions, some of which are hands-on learning opportunities, while others are case studies, lecture or panel presentations, or interactive discussions. Here is a small sampling of the fantastic line-up:
• Bolstering KM Through User Experience
• Knowledge Management in Support of Firm Operations and Administration
• Knowledge Management, Information Security and Records Management: Examining the Synergies and Tensions
• Improving Deployments with a Pilot Group Approach (Speakers include Gina Lynch from Bingham McCutchen)
• What’s New in Sharepoint 2013
• Should You Create Innovative Online Legal Products for Clients?
• Storytelling to Transform Your KM Projects, Strategy and Culture
Marketing & Competitive Intelligence
• Big Data Alchemy: Making BizDev Gold from Lead
• Breathing New Life Into Your CRM
• Extra, Extra, Read All About It! The Latest in News Aggregators (Speakers include Steve Lastres from Debevoise)
• Sorting It All Out: Law Firm Competitive Intelligence
• Five Steps to Delivering a Dynamic Presentation, and A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Presentation Gallery (*Great complements to AALL2go presentation, “Extreme Makeover: PowerPoint Edition” by Jennifer Duperon and Elizabeth Farrell)
• How to Avoid Being a CINO (Chief in Name Only)
• Strategic Prioritization
• The Accidental Product Manager
• The Accidental Portfolio Manager
Key vendors are also at the conference, including American Lawyer Media, Bloomberg BNA, LexisNexis, Recommind, Thomson Reuters, WestKM, and many others.
Just because you cannot attend this year does not mean you lose out — you can follow attendees’ blog posts or tweets (#ILTA13 or session tags such as #INFO12). Also, many of the session audio recordings and materials will be posted on the ILTA website at no cost to member firms. If your firm is already a member, there is no charge for you to create a profile, join groups, and set your preferences to receive emails and publications.
And finally, as you prepare your budgets for next year, consider attending ILTA to interact with CIOs, CKOs, CMOs, trainers, project managers, and well over a thousand other legal technology professionals in a mutually supportive and rewarding environment. (Next year, ILTA will be in Nashville August 25-28.)